Saturday, September 29, 2012

Physical art


"As important as poetry is to me, I love making physical art... things you can see, touch. It makes me so happy to be able to do this again. I put things together. Stuff. Trash I find on the street. I lay pieces on my work table. I move them around. I go away. I come back. I look at them. I go away. I see something else on the street and see it in my mind with something I left on the table. I go back. I move the pieces around--and feel a certain rush of happiness. I mix Mod Podge and Elmer's Glue, take out acrylics and paintbrushes & begin to mount them together. I go away. I come back and work some more. I go away. I play with this until I feel another--and this time--definitive rush to confirm that it's finished--better than MaryJane! This is a kind of thinking outside my body, and most important, outside language. A language of things outside language--and so I can't own it. That's the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment